Friday, March 8, 2013

March-- and still snow. still. snow.

I started seeds in dixie cups (following up after last year's seed starting experiments) on February 1st, and they are going great guns so far-- I planted lots of bedding flowers, because I am trying to be more thrifty this year when it comes to the flowerbeds around the house; mainly because the flowerbeds grew by a lot last year-- I added/expanded 3 new beds. And because I like a mix of annuals and perennials.
The seeds are doing very well on a budget.  I found cheap plastic trays last year from MAC'S Hardware, and unplugged and lowered the shop lights that were already in our unfinished "storage room" turned pantry.

I think the thing I am most excited about though, is that 90% of the seeds I started were harvested from last year's plants in the fall.  I feel like I hit the jackpot!

The thing that is hard right now is actually stepping outside my front door.  Tonight is was COLD. Not January in ND cold, but still... Like 30 degrees cold with a slight wind to bite at your face. It was enough to shorten my walk considerably. So for now, I am going to have to be content with pictures and dreams of last year's garden. Sometimes it is so hard to be patient with Mother Nature's plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment